Stepsister is Being Adapted for Film

Big news! I’m so happy to announce that Stepsister, my upcoming novel about Cinderella’s ugly stepsister, is being adapted for film! I will be working with William Morris Endeavor Content to bring this tale of loss, redemption, and the true meaning of beauty to life on screen.  (Read the whole story in the Hollywood Reporter for details.)

My stories are my babies, and I’m extremely possessive and protective of them. But from our first conversation, I felt a deep connection with the amazing Endeavor Content team. They are smart, sensitive and creative, and it is clear that they get Stepsister — and they get me. I couldn’t be more thrilled to partner with them on this.

I will keep you posted as this project develops. In the meantime, I am hard at work on the book, and loving it. I’m loving getting to know a mean girl who maybe isn’t evil, who maybe regrets her behavior and wants to make amends, and who maybe deserves a shot at her own happily ever after.

Stay tuned!

13 comments

1. Shay . says:

Haii!! It’s been a long since you’ve last given an update. Is there any new information on the film? Release dates, cast, anything?

• Jennifer Donnelly says:

Hi Shay! Stepsister is still moving forward! I saw a first-draft script not too long ago, and that was pretty amazing! No details on dates or cast yet … but I promise I’ll pass along any news I can share. Here’s a related item that’s hot off the press, though: Poisoned, my new retelling of Snow White, has been acquired by the same amazing producers who are developing Stepsister!

2. Megan Flowers says:

As I read this fantastic book I heard this one song that described Isabelle so perfectly in my mind. It’s called “The hero in your heart” by Thomas Bergersen (feat. Merethe Soltvedt) and I just wanted to tell you about it. THOUGH AS i was reading this whole book, I just fell in love with it. I could easily see it in my mind that I wished it to become a movie and to my surprise when I read the acknowledgments it was! So I just wanted to say that your doing a wonderful job with your books and I just love them to death. Thank you for your wonderful works!

3. Hina Batool says:

OMG! I just read the first chapter of the book and then had to search up if there will be a movie and am getting so excited! I can’t wait! I just recently started reading books and its series and this is the one of which I want its movie the most. (sorry my English skills are not the best)

4. Barb Franklin says:

I loved the book “Stepsister!” Thank you for writing it. During the fight scene I thought to myself, “This could be a movie, it is so detailed and easy to picture.” Then I read all the notes and there is was! Congratulations and can’t wait to see the movie and read your other stories. Your fan, Barb

• Jennifer Donnelly says:

I don’t know when it’s coming out, but I do know the production team is working on it! I will keep you posted and share any news I get as soon as I can!!